Friday, September 26, 2008

4am

It's 4am - I just got finished nursing Henry and he is content in his swing for the time being. Last night went really well - he slept for 4 hours in between two feedings so I got some much needed rest. That also means we will probably be up for the next 8 hours but I can deal with this much better if I get just that little bit of extra uninterrupted sleep.

We have kept the baby alive for 20 days so far. I counted it up and if he averages 8 feedings a day, he and I have had 160 times to get this breastfeeding thing down pat. It does get easier everyday - I would just like to fast forward to when he sleeps ALL night. That will be so much better for me mentally. As for now, I am trying my hardest to get from one day to the next. I pray everyday for the ability to give myself over completely to this new life, leaving behind my selfish (albeit fun and carefree) previous life. This is my highest hurdle right now.

Henry does not like the swing anymore - time to try bouncing and swaying in my arms.

2 comments:

emily said...

Do you want to know my FAVORITE thing to tell myself in moments like that? "THIS STAGE WILL PASS!!!" There will be a time where Henry WILL sleep through the night...different with each baby...the only thing is that he won't be as little and tiny as he is now and you will miss that....so try to think about all the sweet things he is doing right now and remember this stage will pass, he will eventually sleep through the night allowing you to FINALLY get some full nights sleep...eventually :)

Andrew and Anneke said...

Give yourself 2 months of grace time for you and him to learn and adjust... if you already have in your head that it takes about that long of
"no sleep, no life" time, you will feel more like its just part of the process, and not like its never-ending. I know you are an amazing mommy!!!